Matilda was born in 1981 on a cider farm in Somerset. She trained at the London School of Tropical Medicine and worked in East Africa in Malaria control for two years. She then turned to photography. She divides her time between her commercial work and her personal work. Her personal work is inspired by marginalised societies.
In September 2015 Matilda won the Royal Photographic Society's Vic Odden award (for a notable achievement in photography for those under 35) for her sell out book Under The Surface - Somerset Floods. In 2014 Matilda was a finalist in the SONY World Photo awards for her work in Ethiopia. In 2014 she was also a finalist in the CIWEM Environmental Photographer Of The Year awards for her work on the Somerset floods.
Under The Surface- Somerset Floods', Published in 2014 by Burrow Hill Books. Now sold out.
- UPCOMING: Author, The League of Exotic Dancers : "Legends" of American Burlesque, Oxford University Press
- UPCOMING: Author, ' Africa's Human Zoo' Burrow Hill Books
Solo shows include:
- Human Zoo: The Ugly Cards, Cock 'n' Bull Gallery, London (Sep 2013)
- Human Zoo: The London Series, The Wilmotte Gallery, London (May 2013)
- Abysinnian Dreams, Brussels (July 2011)
- The Circus, The Roundhouse, London (April, May 2010)
Group shows include:
- The Environmental Photographer of the Year, RGS, London (2014),
- Paris Photo, The Louvre, Paris (2010)
The Observer Magazine; Harpers bazaar; Professional Photographer Magazine; The Sunday Times magazine; 125 magazine, WYLDE magazine. The Telegraph Magazine, The Telegraph, The Times, Damn Magazine, Elle Spain, Elle Poland, Elle Kazakstan, Elle Portugal, Elle Sweden.