Matilda was born on a cider farm in Somerset, England in 1981. After pursuing a career in tropical infectious diseases she decided to make a career change into photography. She is known for her stylised portraiture of marginalised societies. At times confrontational, her work is a empathetic nod to the self expression of her subjects and commands the immediate attention of the viewer.
Matilda is based in London and divides her time between fashion work and her personal gallery work. This year Matilda was a finalist for the SONY World Photo Awards for her African work. She was also a finalist in the CIWEM Environmental Photographer of the year awards for her work on the Somerset floods. Matilda's first book 'Under The Surface - Somerset Floods' was published in 2014.
Under The Surface - Somerset Floods, Burrow Hill books 2014
- June 2014, The Environmental Photographer of the Year, RGS, London
- May 2014, END PLATES, Somerset House, SONY World Photo Awards
- April 2014, ABYSINNIAN DREAMS, Private Show, London
- September 2013 'HUMAN ZOO: UGLY CARDS' Cock and BullGallery, London
- May 2013, 'HUMAN ZOO: The London Series, The WilmotteGallery, London
- Current Ebony Gallery Franschoeck, South Africa
- Summer 2011 BODIES, Green Monkey Gallery, Frome,Somerset, UK
- July 2011 ABYSSINIAN DREAMS Private Show, Brussels,Belgium
- Nov 2010 ABYSSINIAN DREAMS The Michael Hoppen Gallery, Paris Photo
- July - Dec 2010 CIRCUS AND SEXUALITY Solo show, Coco DeMer, London
- Oct - Nov 2010 CIRCUS Solo show, The Lighthouse ArtsCentre, Poole, UK
- July - Aug 2010 CIRCUS AND THE BODY Solo show, JacksonsLane Theatre, London
- April - May 2010 CONTEMPORARY CIRCUS Solo show, TheRoundhouse, London